Tuesday 14 April 2015

Brimham Rocks

Brimham Rocks is one of my favourite places to visit. It's so much fun, I love climbing and it is a pro not being held back by harnesses and stuff it feels a lot more dangerous and like you're really accomplishing something by being one step away from an accident.

some of the rocks


Though since the last time I was there I think I've lost most of my ability to scale the rock piles, it was just about impossible for me to get up most of the rocks, no more squeezing into the little spaces and hoisting myself up. I did manage to get to the top of one though and the view was fantastic. It reminded me of Roseberry Topping in the Yorkshire Moors, when you are up at the top you can just see everything all the way around and its so quiet and calm. The countryside really is a beautiful place.

We (everyone except Mum, William and Joel) went with another family the McKennas who we are friends with. The weather was glorious and it was a fun day out together. Everyone I think suffered a little sunburn by the end of the day though, none of us realised how hot it actually was. Red faces and arms the next day!


Picnic Panorama

Thanks dad for the photos, I left my phone in the car so I could go climbing without fear of smashing it but as a consequence couldn't take any of my own.

Chatting

James on top

It was fun going around it, we stopped for a picnic lunch and then made another round afterwards. We stopped for ice creams at the gift shop and then as we were finishing and about to move on got distracted by a yellow helicopter seeming to be looking as if it was going to land so we hung around to see what had happened.

As it turns out a girl had fallen of some rocks and bounced down them, they had to call in the air ambulance (yellow helicopter), a regular ambulance and a responder unit. She looked alive as they brought her out so hopefully they managed to help her and she will be okay now. I wasn't so keen on climbing particularly high after that.

I think we must have hung around for about an hour watching all the proceedings, it was interesting but I did feel a twinge of guilt for having spent so long watching what would be to the girl's family a horrifying experience.

I tried looking to see if the incident had been published anywhere, I couldn't find an article for this occasion but it seems to happen fairly regularly there are lot of video clips and photos around of other times it has happened.

It was really nice seeing everybody again and catching up with them. Then we had more catch ups to make when we got home.

We got some new missionaries in our ward and one of them was here before about a year ago so it was nice to see him and laugh about things! Of course we asked him about his drivers license (his old one had a funny picture on it) he told us he had lost it. So everyone was a bit disappointed, Louisa did tell him though that we like it because he looks like the kid Russell from UP on it which I'm not sure he found as funny as we did.

But he is here until the end of his mission now he only has five weeks left so plenty of time to find the lost license.

1 comment:

  1. The girl was probably viewing pictures of her fall, and subsequent helicopter ascent on facebook before she arrived at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete