Friday 27 March 2015

RIIIP: The Last Plantagenet

Leicester has been the focus of both national and international news over this past week.

The White Rose of York

It has been a little mad at my university, being of course the ones responsible for finding his remains we have had huge interest and lots of visitors to the Ancient History and Archaeology department.

They have died down now, but I did catch some people around campus today taking photos of the remnants of the celebrations that went on over the weekend.

Rather unfortunately I missed out on seeing the parade on Sunday and the second service that took place on the Thursday. I went on the website though and found out that the Cathedral would be open Friday (today) afternoon and Saturday (tomorrow). 

I finished university at 2pm today, now I have five weeks Easter holiday hooray! So I got a bus into town after my last seminar. I got off in the centre and then walked to the Cathedral, it took a little under 10 minutes. The Cathedral wasn't letting anybody in until 3pm, I arrived at 2.30pm to join the queue and it was already fairly long. By 3.15pm though I was able to go in, so not too long to wait. 

There are still so many white roses everywhere and it looks so beautiful. One of my favourite flowers, everywhere looked so pretty and fresh.



There were also lots of paraffin wax candles being laid out for more celebrations later this evening. I'm sure it will look so beautiful when they are all lit up. White roses were over the grass and also draped across Richard's statue.


Inside the Cathedral too more beautiful white roses everywhere.

These framed either side of the entrance to the cathedral, lilies and roses of various colours amongst other flowers.





I love, love, love white roses! So classy and timeless and pure.

They let us inside in groups of around twenty, the queue moved a lot faster than I thought it would. I wish my phone had a better camera because it was so beautiful inside. All the ceilings are painted as they would have been in medieval times and the amount of flowers everywhere it looked gorgeous and obviously it wont look that way for long.

We followed a walk path around the Cathedral and Richard's tomb was about halfway through.


There are inscriptions on all four sides. The long ones both read "Richard III" at the head it reads "1452-1485" and at the foot "Loyaulte me lie" which is old french for loyalty binds me.

The shield at the foot is made of semi-precious stones. It's flat but a stunning colour when you see it, perhaps a bit bright. 


 A deep cross is cut into the topping. Marking Richard's Christian beliefs.

After the tomb you carry on and are taken round to where the Pall that was made to cover his coffin before its internment is on display under glass alongside the crown that was commissioned.




The crown is also made with semi-precious stones and was specially commissioned for the occasion. The Pall was made of black velvet and embroidered with various key figures concerned with the journey of Richard from recovery to re-internment.

 The visitors centre for Richard III

Leicester has been busy with lots of camera crews from the television and people coming to view Richard from all over the world. It will be interesting to see how this affects levels of tourism from now on. Obviously lots have come this week but will it continue? Some people have said maybe Richard's tomb will become a place of pilgrimage? Will it? He was a king not a saint...

Here are some much better quality pictures from Philippa Gregory's facebook page. She is a fantastic historical novelist who I think did a wonderful job on her character of Richard. She attended the service of celebration and so got some wonderful shots. All credit goes to her: Philippa Gregory




It was lovely to go and see. It didn't feel very regal. In comparison to other medieval tombs I have seen (Richard I and Henry II at Fontevraud) it is quite modern. His predecessor and brother Edward IV had a fancy tomb with effigy on top and I thought perhaps they might have done something of the sort for Richard too.

It is lovely though, the stone is pretty and stately.

I bought a commemorative newspaper and a white rose, my souvenirs of the whole experience.

Very glad to have been able to see it. The Plantagenet rule over England is one of my favourite periods of English history. 

Rest in peace Richard III.

No comments:

Post a Comment