Tuesday 10 March 2015

My Voice

I thought I just had a sore throat/cold and so powered on to the Hull YSA convention over the weekend anyway. As it went on my voice gradually left me to the point where I could barely be heard and it was easier to decipher my whispers than when I spoke normally

I went to the doctors and they told me I had tonsillitis. Noooo. It's one of those illnesses where it affects so small a part of you that I expect to still be able to get on and do things. Not the case, I don't know if it's the tonsillitis itself or the medicine they gave me but I feel so tired and drained all the time. I've spent the last two days watching tv, movies and sleeping. A pretty nice way to spend days but not when you still have an essay to be written. I need so badly to be better so I can get my motivation back.

The doctor gave me a course of penicillin, which was what I expected. It is however the most VILE medicine I have ever had to take. Paracetamol tastes bad, this tastes so much worse. Unfortunately I have to take two four times a day. EIGHT A DAY. All I can taste is its horrible powdery chemically flavour yuck. I am looking forward to next Monday when they will all be done and hopefully my voice will be back.


I'm supposed to be teaching a primary lesson on Sunday and giving a talk - second speaker 15 minutes. I've had to let them all know I may not be able to do it. My voice isn't totally gone but it's squeaky.

It was an interesting weekend with my voice, my first YSA convention and I literally began every conversation with "sorry I've lost my voice" what an impression I must have made. As you can imagine it made it a little more difficult to make friends and talk to people.

It sounds hilarious though and every time I spoke I just wanted to laugh at myself and I couldn't understand how everyone managed to keep a straight face. 

Whilst at the GP's yesterday I got her to check out my foot as well. I hurt it playing hockey a few weeks back, I already got my aunt to check it and the GP pretty much confirmed everything she said. That I'd just bruised it, probably some tendons/ligaments got bruised and I should rest it. How delicate are feet? She told me I can't play sports for 4-6 weeks. Nooo that pretty much means I miss the rest of the hockey season and have to wait until next one. It also swipes off running from my time wasting list. Not good. 

On the plus side I'm now properly signed up for the doctors, I know where it is, I also know where the chemist is.

One minor annoyance as I'm now older than eighteen I have to pay for my prescriptions. £8.05 for some nasty tasting medicine is not my idea of joyful spending. If it cures me quickly though I'll consider it worthwhile!

For the summer I've been looking at Au Pairing again. I'd really love to go back to Italy it is such a beautiful country. I've had lots of interest from families as well, however none of them seem to hit me as the right ones to go with which is a shame because some of them sounded fantastic! So I feel like I might be sticking around this summer. Got to find a job. Fingers crossed it wont be impossible!

1 comment:

  1. Tonsillitis is so horrid! I do hope your throat and your foot recover quickly and your essay gets written. xx

    ReplyDelete